01 July 2008

Regatta

It is the time of year again for the Henley Regatta.
You can always tell this because there are lots of signs warning people not to go anywhere near Henley, signs for car parks for the event at unfeasible distances from the town itself and the smell of Pimms in the air becomes ever more powerful as the riverside drinking establishments wind themselves up into overdrive.

I am astounded at the popularity of such an event, but popular it most definitely is, and what is normally somewhat of a traffic bottleneck in the area (due to it being the site of one of the few bridges across the Thames) transforms into a complete traffic disaster area. If you are forced, as I am, to drive through Henley en-route to work, this becomes somewhat problematic. I have a solution. I work from home - which I'm doing alot anyway at the moment. But I drove through Henley today, thinking the event hadn't started yet (which it hadn't) and already it was very, very busy - so much so that it added nearly 30 minutes onto my travel time.

I wish they would build another bridge (or possibly several).

No comments: