21 July 2008

Bob the (re)builder

I sometimes hate being a "computer person".

I've spent a lovely Friday and most of the weekend attempting to recover some files from my computer's old hard drives. I've rebuilt, scanned, fiddled, fixed, mended and patched the partition stuff and the wretched thing still won't read the files.

It would be so much easier if I knew nothing about computers because then I could just throw my hands up and say it was broken, but instead I keep on coming up with more cunning ways to get at the data which takes me another 2 hours to execute. And then it doesn't work.

It wouldn't be so bad, but it was my fault the files got lost in the first place (because I didn't back them up) and they're a load of Olga's work files. She's being very good about it, but I'm determined to recover them. Into the 4th day of recovery efforts though and my patience is starting to wear a little thin.

It was never like this in the old days when I used to load Manic Miner off a C60.

No comments: