15 July 2008

As the dust settles

So, this has turned into my iPhone blog for the past few days, but it's hardly surprising, I suppose. I intend to stop harping on about it soon, but in the meantime...

The phone is up and running and my number is being transferred tomorrow. So far I'm fairly impressed.


GOOD
  • It's fun to use
  • The iPod app works even better than I expected - sound quality is good and video playback is good too
  • I love maps - there's something about a little dot on a map moving around as you walk that I find compelling
  • Web browsing is a revelation on a mobile device - it works _really_ well
  • AppStore works really well too - although I'm still trying to work out which apps are worth getting. It seems to suffer from lots of apps being rushed out to meet the deadline - this should get better over time

NOT SO GOOD
  • My O2 mobile reception is rubbish at home. This isn't the phone's fault, but it seems to affect the WiFi connection too. I am looking into ways of improving reception
  • I had lots of problems with Remote when I first got it (possibly to do with WiFi) but now it works a treat
  • I had a disaster with Caldendar. Mobile Me kindly ported across all my calendar entries from .mac but screwed up all the times. MM thought I was on California time, so when I set it back to BST all my appointment times got messed up. I had to manually correct them all
  • I had problems with Calendar push sync and am still having problems with mail push. It's working again now, but it just seems to stop working every so often
  • MobileMe is generally improving daily - it was very poor when first launched, but seems to be getting quicker and more stable

Not really used SMS or Phone yet (until my number is transferred).

So, not an unmitigated success, but most of my niggles will either be sorted out when I get the hang of it or (I hope) in a bug fix.

No comments: