17 July 2008

Jobs, apathy and general despair


I had a chat with Vic today.

I used to work with Vic in my second ever job, when I was still wide-eyed and the World was a simpler place. He's one of those people who always seems to have a smile on his face or find the funny side of things no matter what. By a strange coincidence he contracted at my previous workplace and now works in the office downstairs from me. It's nice to have a chat from time to time.

Only problem is, I always comes away from chatting - about work and the like - feeling just how ridiculous my situation with my company is right now. Things really are in a real mess and I don't see it getting any better (no matter what I do). Sometimes, small triumphs during the day make me forget just how far the whole enterprise has plummeted since the heady days of last year, but then conversations like today being it all back into focus again.

So that leaves me thinking that I really must get myself sorted out with another job. But right on queue I get another email from an agent telling me "on this occasion I've been unsuccessful" - when the guy has never taking a single phone call or answered an email from me. I don't mind not getting jobs (even ones I quite like the look of) but I do mind when I don't feel I've been fairly represented. Not even talking to me is a fairly good indication of that, I think. And so then I get disillusioned with the compitence of the agencies and their inability to tell the good people (i.e. me) from all the rubbish people out there and then I think I should give up this whole technology buisness and become a semi-nomadic goat herder in Bromsgrove.

Except the agency say they've had too many applications and they'll keep me on file, but would I like to try for a deep-sea possum fisher in Stoke-on-Trent?

No comments: