14 July 2008

Inflation

I'm getting really fed up of being told
Inflation is running at 3.5%

Does anybody in their right mind (i.e. no one in the government) actually believe this?

Having been dispatched to do the shopping yesterday, and it not being my favourite passtime, I like to reward myself at the end of the ordeal by browsing around the wine section. Now, if a £6 bottle of wine went up by 3% it wouldn't suddenly cost £7.50 - but it does. My revered Peter Lehmann (never the cheapest) is up a pound to £9 and even the old varnish remover which is Banrock Station is over a fiver.

So, it strikes me that someone should come up with an index based upon things normal people actually buy, rather than it being based on the price of cashew nuts in the House of Commons bar. It would then be even more brutally obvious to one and all what a total cock-up our esteemed ex-Chancellor has made of the economy (before craftily switching jobs and blaming it on someone else in a move that seems strangely reminiscent of an episode of Black Adder)

No comments: