27 June 2008

@Home

A few times during my working career I've ended up working from home for some time. I find it can be quite a strange existence.

I am now in such a situation, although somewhat different from previous times. Usually I have some pretty agressive timescales and opt to work at home in order to focus on the important stuff I need to do. Right now I'm at home because there is no one else in the office anyway.

I work about 30 minutes car journey from home and I was leading a team, producing a telecare product. At the end of March, money became very tight and my entire team either left or were made redundant. Since then, myself and the sales chap have been going into the office twice a week, since it makes little difference, most of the time, where we are physically sitting. This has worked quite well, and although it's a big change from being in the office each day with lots of people, the variety of home and office has been OK - at least for novelty value, if nothing else.

Now, the sales chap is leaving. So that leaves me and our two directors in the company - directors who seldom show up in the office. So now I wonder how to divide my time between home and office. There are, of course, some things I need to go into the office for, but many things I don't.

There is also the question of motivation. A company which has an ever shrinking workforce, a lack of money and no customers is not the most inspiring place to be. Even when you believe in the product itself - and I do - it's difficult to find the drive to do all the things that need to be done - especially when you're at home and there are the inevitable distractions. I guess it's all about balance and finding the right mix of work and non-work to keep things sustainable. Having spent 2 years battling and working flat-out to get the product completed it's quite a shock to the system.

I guess I'll just have to see how it goes.

No comments: