21 July 2008

Big Smoke

I had a trip to London today.

I had to drive to Paddington, which I really wasn't looking forward to. My general experiences of driving in London involve sitting in queues, ridiculous one-way systems, total lack of signposts and a Rolls Royce nudging the back of my car every time I stop at the lights. None of this was to come to pass, though. I had an excellent trip down the A40, managed not to get lost (despite the somewhat misleading signage) and arrived at the hospital about 40 minutes early.

I was giving a demo of our system to some patients - although it seemed likely they were simply there for the (rather splendid) catering that'd been laid on. But I did the demo anyway. One of them fell asleep. But it looks like it was a success and the hospital staff were very enthusiastic. We just need them to actually order something now (not that I care, because I'm leaving and everything, but perhaps I do care, just a little bit).

Amazingly, I had an equally good trip back - a couple more queues, but got back to the office in record time. Then I got stuck in a traffic jam for 45 minutes going into Henley on my way home. Ah! the delights of Henley again.

... and I did it all without the SatNav (mainly because it's so hopelessly out of date now that not only have the roads changed, but the continents have drifted significantly).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a weekly updated SatNav and it can't even get the roads right in London. Truly pants.

When I come to visit you in a few weeks, I'll probably end up in Norwich.

aFj said...

It's a distinct (and somewhat troubling) possibility.
There are a number of dubious farm tracks around here that still appear as roads on the map.