13 August 2008

You know things are bad when ...

You're offered a fat bribe just for staying with the company.

My visit to the pub ... err, sorry, meeting today all focused around looking after me. This, apparently, invovled promising me the Earth, letting me know in no uncertain terms that everything would be alright and giving me a bribe to not leave.

Admittedly, the bribe was only in shares - which are worthless anyway - but I do get the feeling that things have got one stage worse if my esteemed leaders are now so desperate that they have to try to hang onto me at all costs - even by doshing out some of their hitherto impossible-to-obtain shares.

Perhaps I should be motivated, flattered and enthusiastic about this move, but it just leaves me feeling like things are even worse than I thought, somehow. It serves as a graphic illustration of how incentives can sometimes work against you.

... Or maybe I'm twisted and cynical and nothing's ever good enough for me.

... Naaaaaaaaaa!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent choice of pic though :)

The Phantom Flasher said...

What you need is our old manager. He would get your enthusiasm going again :-)

aFj said...

It's a good point. I'm sure I've had far more than my fair share of rubbish bosses - not just rubbish in a vague kind of way, but those people that really work at it.
Although, much as you may be amazed, my current one is head-and-shoulders above the rest, with a unique blend of rubbishness, incompitence and the communication skills of a Tellytubby.

The Phantom Flasher said...

I remember an interview when I was a lot younger with Sony and they asked me how I like to be managed. I gave the normal crap. If I was ask the same question now it would be, the manager should not talk to me unless I start the conversation. Managers cannot be trusted to talk to staff without making mistakes. My last project manager was good, always gave praise never ask questions except in the weekly team meeting and never digged too much if things were going slow. He even had a knack of only upsetting me in the mornings before lunch when currywurst mit pommes. So I would stay for that and I was a lot happier after lunch. It was always great timing as sausage and chips was only once every 3 weeks on a semi-random day… It was terrible food; but I always found it nostalgic of school dinners 