15 August 2008

Masters of the Universe

I feel the end of an era in my life is soon to occur.

I am very close to finishing Super Mario Galaxy. I mean, really finishing it, not just doing the main bit, but the really annoying Purple Comet bits too.

I've been stuck for ages on Luigi and his wretched purple coins, but having finally completed that (by the skin of my teeth) this morning, I've now been through 2 more, pretty easy levels and am within 2 stars of victory.

My Star total is 119. 1 more Star unlocks the end game and then that's it (so, I've heard). It's been a long time since I've been so engaged by a game over 2 months, but that's what it's been. Frustrating at times, fun at others, but always addictive. The only time I didn't want to go back to it was this stupid Luigi level (where you have to not only persuade the software to do the right jumps in the right direction, but also remember the pattern you have to use to be able to get back to the start).

I feel an immense sense of satisfaction because I've only used 2 hints in the entire game. One to find a hidden star, where I'd done all the right things but not in the right ways, and one to find the pattern you need to finish that Luigi purple coin level (because it was taking FAR too long to work out on my own - although I eventually used a bit of a hybrid).

I shall now have to find another suitable game to fill this void in my life in order to avoid having to do things like get a life, talk to my wife and go outside the house.

The time has now come, I feel, for a gratuitous quote:

I HAVE THE POWER!

[13:00]
Couldn't resist. The last star was a bit tricky but it was a good level and I managed to complete it. Was rather disappointed to be then taken to the same end level that finished the first part of the game - so contrary to my expectations, there were only 120 stars, the final level was a duplicate. A bit of a shame, it would have been nice to have some kind of fun level at the end, but it can't detract from what is simply a stunning, thoroughly enjoyable game. I feel such a sense of achievement that I just want to celebrate.

1 comment:

The Phantom Flasher said...

I'm waiting for GTA for the PC to come out... I have a WII but I cannot find a game I like, I have quite a few but nothing rocks my boat... I think I would like GTA vice city for the WII that could be interesting.

If you want to feel like you have really achieved something in life then try and complete or even play Battlecruiser 3000 A. D.. This is the single hardest game I have ever played except for Jenga (for the wii).