15 June 2008

Wrong script?


I may be missing something obvious, but what on Earth was Doctor Who all about last night?

The episode was called "Midnight", and it all started off fairly normally - Doctor managed to ditch Donna - hoorah! and it looked kinda interesting, but then what happened?

Now, I guess the point is that I actually found it quite interesting in some ways. They had a go at developing some of the incidental characters, although in a rather half-hearted way, they had something that even the Doctor didn't really seem to understand and I thought the repeating of words et al was quite effective.

But the fact there was no big monster, no TARDIS, only minor use of the sonic screwdriver ... this isn't what I signed up for!

In all seriousness, I like it when the scriptwriters push the boundaries. I like trying new things, and so I guess not everything will always work. My favourite episode of the new Doctor Who is "Blink" (the one with the weeping angels) which, rather than sidestepping the whole concept of time travel, tackled it head-on. Some wonderful paradoxes and a really effective look into the meaning of time for individuals - plus, of course, the video, which was such a great plot point. But I digress.

Bottom line is that I don't think "Midnight" worked. It could have been Doctor Who's Three Men in a Boat, but it wasn't - nearly was, but not quite. In some ways I liked the lack of resolution at the end (why do things always have to be neatly tied up?) and in some ways I didn't. So I'll give credit for trying new things, but on this occasion I'll put this episode aside and move on - perhaps I'll watch it again and see if I've missed something, but on the other hand, I think I'd prefer to watch "Blink" again - sending people back in time instead of killing them directly ... genius.

No comments: