11 June 2008

Movie: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull


Well, what can I say. I was a fan of the original 3 films. I felt each one brought something new to the series. I guess this one did too.

The 3 act format has never been more crudely realised than in this film. The first act which culminated in Indy surviving in a fridge during and atom bomb test was basically pointless. It didn't _feel_ right and it added little to the overall story.

The second act was the real Indiana Jones stuff. We had the hat, the humour, the action and a good old-fashioned adventure to get your teeth into. From time to time I could believe I was watching one of the old films and it was great.

The third act was complete nonsense. I won't go into too many spoilers, but it was as if the ending was grafted on from a completely different film and existed only to use up what remained of the special effects budget. It wasn't believable, it didn't fit with the Jones legacy and it didn't even really make much sense.

If I score the 3 acts individually, I get 1, 3 and 0 giving me the final score:

4/10

No comments: