06 March 2009

The rollercoaster week

Another week has flown by and things haven't changed a great deal.

The job market is still sluggish, employers still seem very loathed to interview or make decisions and I still don't have a job.

I did, however, land an interview at another company - making a grand total of 2 this year - and have a second interview for the first company.

I think my interview yesterday went well, I said most of what I wanted to, they all peered at some documents I'd prepared in advance and generally I feel I answered the majority of questions well. I am waiting, with baited breath, to see if they are going to call me back. Yes, there is a thrid interview! Never come across this process before, but there we have it.

There are a few things about the job that concern me. Not least of them is the location - it's in a very out-of-the-way place and although it's not too difficult to get to, it involves travelling along some narrow, windy and poorly maintained roads. Not what you want when you've had a busy day and just want to be home.

The next job I'm going for is the opposite - straight down the motorway - very easy. But I have to wait and see what sort of a place it is and whether the people are OK. I generally get a feel for a place and its people quite quickly - years of honing this talent as a contractor.

So, I'm on quite a high at the moment. After starting to get very annoyed that we were now in March and I still didn't have a job, a couple of interviews make me feel closer to that than ever before. We're also managing our money very effectively and still haven't had to raid the savings, and my benefits pay for a few things as well.

I've spent the last week frantically reading about project management and development techniques and feel I've picked up a lot of valuable info, so I'm planning to keep up my research reading and read around a number of technologies and techniques that I've been putting off - it can't hurt. Of course, my progress in Lego Star Wars is going to suffer, but these are the crosses we have to bear.

1 comment:

The Phantom Flasher said...

I know what you mean Andy. I have been looking for the past few weeks (contracts) and I have never had to wait so long for someone to say they do/don't want to interview me. At present I am waiting to hear about 4 contracts around Germany and it taking ages.

Normally in Germany it takes around a week for someone to decide to interview and then 2 days for them to say yah/nah... but not at the moment.

Oh, well, I should enjoy the time off and learn new technologies... but there is GTA4 to play on the PC... Objective C or GTA4 or German... the ultimate question and I can't seem to think how 42 comes into to it...