26 February 2009

Downward trend

With all the doom and gloom in the media at the moment, I thought it only right and proper that I jumped on the bandwagon too.

After what looked like a good start, this week has been rather dreadful, jobwise. Things started to look up last week, with not only more jobs showing up on the searchs, but more that I could actually apply for. It started to look like I would be batting them away with my weighty CV.

A week later and I feel that this week has been at a total standstill, so I decided to tally up some statistics to see if it was really true (the offshoots of having too much time on my hands). It turns out that this week is pretty much bang on average in terms of job availability, but last week, which had the most jobs around, I applied for just one (which was unceremoniously withdrawn this week). So, it seems, that I'm suffering from last week's standstill.

Of course, the real issue is the lack of interviews. I still have a number of applications "being processed" including one that's been out for over 3 weeks. All kinds of excuses are offered, but the truth at the end of the day is that no one is in a hurry to hire at the moment. The problem with that is the longer the job is out there, the more likely it is that the budget will be pulled (it happens a lot at the moment) and then you're back to square one.

So I'm still in the unfortunate position of all my eggs being in one basket, which is good in that it looks really interesting, but not so good in terms of negotiating a salary, or if they decide to hire someone else. But - there's not much I can do right now other than grow a phD or three.

No comments: