08 January 2010

Looking back again


I have to come clean and say that 2009 has not been my favourite year.


I know everyone’s got a bit of a downer on it and it came from a broken home and all, but that’s the fact.


The year is underscored by the 6 months I spent without a job. This was serious time “without a job” because I even went to the job centre and claimed allowances and everything. It was strange to be working on the computer most of the day but have no one pay me a sum of money for my troubles. Of course, with the general job situation the way it was, it took some time to find something suited to my skills and when that didn’t work I just took something that looked vaguely credible.


After getting the job things turned around a bit and after settling in, things were going quite nicely. We even went on holiday and had some time away. I never really felt settled in the job, but it was ticking along reasonably well. Then big reorganisations came along and everything was thrown into disarray once more. It brought back memories of the uncertainties of the future of the year – which is not something I want to re-live.


We did manage to visit several people we’ve been meaning to see for ages this year and do a few of the things we wanted to but I feel we’ve not really felt like we can relax and do things and plan things because of the uncertainty of what may happen next month or the month after. Of course, there is always uncertainty, but most of the time you aren’t so acutely aware of it.


So after feeling that 2008 was a year that went nowhere, 2009 did go somewhere, just not very far and we may all have to turn around and go back to the beginning again. I won’t say it was a bad year, but 2009 has not been my favourite year.

No comments: